Thursday, October 14, 2010
All of us at Amsterdam Press agree.
Get your own copy of the book in our Etsy store.
Friday, October 8, 2010
We have been looking for places that accept chapbooks for review recently, and during that hunt, we ran across two places that reviewed Mark Jackley’s Cracks & Slats. The Poetry Blog for Lilliput said that the Gob Pile Chapbook Series is “pertly named” and Tonopah Review called Jackley’s poetry a “kick in the kidneys.”
What a pleasant surprise.
We’ve been long overdue for a website overhaul (Or a new, custom, lovely wordpress makeover), and one of the things that we would like to make more prominent in the new design (hopefully by Spring) is our dedication to being green.
Just how green are we? Let us count the ways:
- We fold every single page of every chapbook and magazine by hand, with bone folders, saving electricity.
- We print on recycled paper. We love Genesis SMART papers because it’s beautiful and it feels nice. We want our books to have a nice hand. We also love that the paper is 100% PCW. We try as best we can to only use 100% PCW because no matter how sustainable, using something that’s been used before is better than making new. When we must use other paper because of cost or necessity, we make sure that we aren’t harming ancient forests and that the company is committed to sustainability before we buy.
- We do not do harmful, glossy coatings.
- We hand bind everything, saving energy.
- We print our text pages on a refurbished Xerox Workcentre M20, 600 DPI, and our toner and drum units are recycled with Xerox’s Green World Supplies Recycling Program. When we are able to afford it, we’re going to move to a solid ink technology machine, which will reduce our carbon footprint even more.
- We are always looking for new ways to improve our commitment to sustainability. Contact us if you have any suggestions or questions.